La Villa del Vescovo

Villa del Vescovo 1755-1838

Designed to be the summer home of the Bishop of Nardò. The building has a neoclassical style: triangular gables on the windows of the upper floor and bracket, which is a typical classic motif also reproduced in the Renaissance palaces. Bishop Petruccelli, in 1755, started work in the building, and his pastoral care was placed in memory on the main door, but the completion of 1838 gave his benefits to Monsignor Lettieri, whose coat of arms dominates the gallery: you can recognize two factories from baroque elements alternating with neoclassical ones. We can see Baroque elements found in exuberant decorations beneath the ground floor windows, which is divided by pilasters with capitals.

At the end of the Great War, there was the first summer colony in the villa, for the children of the Terra d’Otranto fighters.


Life in the villa

Life in the villa has ancient origins: the Romans were the first to build monumental villas; when living in the country became dangerous, the dwellings were abandoned or converted into fortified houses or even in castles. Life in the villa resumed in the Renaissance. The villas are distinguished by eclecticism, or by an assortment of styles that live side by side (Moresque, Liberty, Neoclassical, Neogothic).


The Wonderful Garden of the Villa